Monday, July 27, 2009

Rain, Rain and more Rain

It has been a bit slow on the climbing outside front lately, but in between the rain showers we have been trying to get out and do stuff. Last weekend sat afternoon was spent at Raven Tor were I played on the route Rattle & Hump (F8a) , which I had tried years ago and could not do the crux, I thought maybe I could now, but it turns out I still can't although I did feel a lot closer. Deb had a play on Power Humps (font 7b+) again and got to the last move three times but quite have enough in her to finish it.
On the Sunday we went down to Rubicon and I had a play on The Sissy (f8a), has this stayed dry in the rain. This is a classic peak f8a , with small finger sharp holds, with the crux being a hideous match on a crimp. I managed to do all the move apart from the match. Not sure it is one for me though. Deb had a play on her project again (Hot Fun Closing f8a) and did some good cross links but the top holds were wet.
We even went up to Rubicon on Monday night after work to make the most of the good weather. Unfortunately Deb was not feeling to good buy the time we got but still had a few goes at her project. I managed to repeat Kudos (Font 7b) which I only can occasionally do and Bigger Splash direct (LH u’cut) (Font 7b+).
This weekend again saw us at Raven Tor this time I wanted to try Out of my Tree (f8a). After warming up i decided to give Weed Killer Traverse (Font 7a+) another go after I failed last time and after a few goes it was done. Check out the Video here. So then I moved on to Out of My Tree , again I had tried this a while back and was struggle with the crux. But first I had to try and repeat the boulder problem start (Font 7b). I managed to do this after half a dozen goes, now just the crux to work out. This involves locking off a finger jug in the left hand with one foot quite high and reaching up and over to a right hand small side pull which is above and left of you left hand, hold this step you left foot through to and small outside edge and then heel hook right foot next to your left hand, know hold the position had snatch your left hand to the good crimp a full arms length away easy. Well not so easy I couldn't quite latch the crimp, but I was getting there but was too tired now and time to go home. So out of the 3 f8a's I have tried I think this one is the one I will stick to trying for now.
Sunday saw us back a Rubicon again and after putting the rope up Hot Fun Closing and warming the weather started to get worse , the route was still dry but Deb had cooled off too much waiting for the rain to stop. she had one really good go trying to warm up again, but the then the rain came again and the route got wet. Good progress on the route , just a matter of being there in the right conditions now.

No comments: